Monday, November 17, 2008

From Cube to Classroom: By Scribbles

I worked for several years before going to law school, and it is certainly a big change from corporate life. Now I enjoy a relaxed dress code, flexible hours, and time to actually talk about issues instead of always running around solving one crisis after another. It’s a lot of fun, but there are also some real adjustments to get used to.

Being disciplined about studying, especially on the weekends (which used to be my free time) is a change. It’s great not having class until 11:00 am on Tuesdays, but if I don’t spend that time studying, I’ll be up until midnight.

Money is also a factor. I got spoiled by direct deposit coming in twice a month. Now the money’s only going one direction: out.

Isolation from the corporate world is also a feeling I sometimes get. I do keep in touch with old colleagues, but I feel like the whole mortgage meltdown happened while I was in the law library (that might not be a bad thing).

But I made the right move. As a law school in New York City, St. John’s is very much in tune with what is going on in this city, as well as nationally and internationally. From the first day, I was told I was here to train as a lawyer, a new profession that I had chosen for myself. I was reminded that in just three years I would be back in the world with a whole new set of skills.

Going back to school can be challenging, but it is also very rewarding. The added bonus is that in three years I will be a practicing attorney.

No comments: