Monday, November 17, 2008

Don't Bubble: By Night Rose

After watching movies like Legally Blonde, and hearing horror stories about the so-called Socratic Method, I was nervous about my first time in the spotlight. It happened during Torts with one of the most distinguished Professors at the school. By merely walking into the classroom, the Professor produced a tangible air of anticipation. He started to take roll call. Of course, I, with all my effervescent bubbliness, said, "Hi Professor, how are you," when he called on my name (everyone else just raised their hands). He looked at me sternly, and then returned the greeting. You could feel the mood begin to lighten. He introduced the day’s topic: elements of intentional torts. Then, he looked straight at me and said, "Who wants to volunteer for the next case?" I mean, dead on looking at me! (Damn my effervescent bubbliness, I thought furiously!) I stammered, "Would, would you like me to g-go?" "Yes, Ms. Nightrose."

Why does the professor always call on you for the case you might not completely understand? I had the first two cases down perfectly, but of course, he calls on me for the third one, which was much harder! Well, I lived to see another day, but let me tell you, he was definitely grueling. He probed, questioned and picked until all my answers fell apart. I did not feel stupid, though. Instead I began to understand that the answer is less important than the process. Understanding the arguments on both sides is the goal. The law is different than anything I’ve ever studied. Ever.

No comments: