Monday, November 17, 2008

The Sixth Draft: By Scribbles

It’s finished. I submitted my final legal memo assignment last week, and now I am free to study for finals. Without a doubt, the legal memo was the most amount of time I have ever spent earning two credits. But it was also the most valuable practical experience that I’ve had this first semester of law school.

Legal writing is definitely an art form that must be learned by doing, because it is not like other forms of writing. First of all, I had to start with the conclusion (and also end with a longer conclusion). For every case I cited, there was a specific rule from the “Blue Book” that had to be followed precisely – no room for creativity in citations. I also wrote about six drafts to get to a point where I felt comfortable submitting the memo, and even now I know it’s not perfect. But it was well worth the effort.

Helping me through this process was St. John’s brand-new Legal Writing Center, which is staffed with upper-level students. They know what the professors are looking for, because they’ve had the same professors that I have. I met with two consultants, and they helped me improve my writing and caught a few spelling errors. They did not, however, rewrite my memo, and I’m glad for that. Working independently is an important aspect of first-year legal writing. It builds confidence and sharpens skills.

No comments: