Monday, November 17, 2008

MEMOries: By Night Rose

In legal writing, we get two chances. The first draft, worth 30% of our grade, and the final draft, worth 50%. I handed in my first draft, so cocky, so sure that I was going to be #1. A couple weeks later, an email entered my inbox, notifying me to collect my paper. After I saw my dismal grade, I had one thought: I totally deserved so much better! My paper was well thought out, structured, and grammatically correct! Or so i thought.

After looking over the comments, I realized I totally deserved that grade. Too much passive voice, no organization, and lack of proof. Grrrr, I thought... where to go from here? The final memo due date loomed two weeks away. I worked every single day on this paper until there was no passive voice, mucho organization, and lots of relevant proof. Do I feel as confident as before - no way. I do want the best grades- I want to be #1, remember? But, seriously, if nothing else, at least i am learning.

No comments: