Monday, October 27, 2008

First Time in Contracts: by Sleeping PIll

The guy on my left was woefully unprepared for the barrage of questions steadily blazing his way from the professor. Watching an unprepared student writhe under the gaze of an inquisitive professor is a decidedly uncomforatable experience for everyone involved. I remember thinking “that’ll never happen to me… I’m too smart."

“Since your neighbor is not up to the challenge, Mr. Pill, perhaps you could help us.” Professor Contracts was looking right at me. I felt my stomach drop, my heart-rate spike and my hands begin to sweat. Professor Contracts was still looking at me. (Had he asked a question yet? Did I miss it? How long has he been looking at me?) I was panicking.

“Mr. Pill…” Contracts began. (I’m still OK, here comes the question.) “Mr. Pill, what is consideration?” Contracts asked. (OK, I know this. I just read about 100 cases that told all about consideration)

I started to speak. My voice sounded small bouncing off the cavernous walls of 1-15. “Consideration is what you pay for the thing you want…”

It goes without saying that this nugget of brilliance wasn’t exactly what the professor was looking for. I did a little writhing myself as my recall was tested by Professor Contracts. It was quite an experience: a little terror, a lot of adrenaline and one helluva challenge. I’m ready for my next one…

No comments: