Sunday, October 19, 2008

Convincing Mom: by M.C. Ethics

The thing that struck me most about orientation was the fact that almost every speaker seemed to be focused on ethical behavior. When I was accepted into law school, I asked my mother if she would support my decision if I decided to enroll. She told me that she did not like lawyers but would be willing to pay for my tuition deposit and books only. I was on my own regarding the rest of the tuition because my mother was hoping that I could attend some other graduate program for free. I wondered for a while why my mother did not like lawyers and I bet in her mind, lawyers were evil and would do anything for their fee.
This is why ethics are so important. The reputation of an entire profession hinges upon how attorneys conduct themselves. My mother must have had to hire someone who behaved unethically which created the view in her mind that every lawyer was evil. By focusing upon ethics at orientation, St. John's is betting that after our class graduates, we will be able to change people's perception about lawyers.

Classes Begin…

During the first few days, I was very afraid of my professors, they seemed to have a way of instilling a sense of fear upon students. After a few more classes, however, I found that most of the professors cared about the well-being of their students and want all of their students to succeed.
Then there are fellow students. I have noticed that the caliber of the student body is amazingly high. It is as if the admissions committee selected the single brightest person from classrooms around the country and placed them all in my class. It seems that I will have to work harder than I anticipated just keeping up with the rest of the section, but this is a challenge I will embrace with perseverance and determination.

No comments: