Sunday, October 19, 2008

New Beginnings: by Night Rose

As an evening student, I have a unique advantage over the 1L full time students. That is right, I am here to embrace my inner PM status, and announce to everyone that I love starting out as an evening student. I took a year off between college and law school. Anyone who has done that, especially if the time span more than a year, can say with certainty that the idea of returning to classrooms, textbooks and, studying, is terrifying! All I heard was “you better study your brains out!" I was VERY nervous about starting school.
Orientation came, and I had no idea what to wear- what do you wear to a law school orientation? When I got there, they were serving food, wine and beer. Yes! My jittery nerves were gone with a glass of red. What really stood out to me about orientation was the welcoming nature of the St. John’s community. St. John's really seemed to care about everybody! The Deans and some teachers welcomed us- they also had a couple of evening students come in and talk. I went home at the end of the night, and felt better. This is going to be fun.

Classes Begin…

Wow. There is a lot of reading. Like, a lot! The first week was four uninterrupted days of Introduction to Law. We learned the basics of writing a case brief, which has been very helpful in the subsequent "substantive classes.” I also experienced my first interrogation in which the Professor latched onto me for one case for 20 minutes. He had me scrambling through my notes and case brief to find answers to questions I did not even know existed!
Time has passed and I am not nearly as terrified as I was a month ago. I actually enjoyed reading as a child and as an adult, so I am plowing right through the assignments, while retaining at least most of the pertinent facts. Let me just reiterate though, I am still nervous, and probably will be, until I experience my first exams… in December.

No comments: